23andme,

Ancestry and Health Testing

12:57 PM Unknown 0 Comments

This year for my birthday I asked for the health and ancestry DNA test from 23 and Me. If you haven't heard of this it is basically a test that provides information on where you and your ancestors arrived from. The health reports that come with it provide even more information such as what health conditions you are more at risk for, genes that you carry that could be passed to your children, and more trivial things such as if you are lactose intolerant, or likely to have curly hair.

 Ancestry Test Options
I've had a family tree built over at Ancestry for awhile. And doing the FREE trial there led me to some fascinating information about past family members including access to marriage licenses, military war cards, and even an occasional photo. (If you're nosy like me, you can even find information on living loved ones.)

Ancestry offers a DNA test as well, but I was sold with the 23andMe because I wanted the health reports as well. Also with 23 and me gives you the option to keep your information so that if relatives do this test, you can find one another. Which could be extremely helpful to those who have been adopted, or like my children, who have a donor. 

 Ordering The Kit
I ordered my Saliva kit which took a few days to arrive. While waiting on its arrival I went ahead and made an account on 23 and me. You do not have to have a kit to make an account. Once I made an account they gave you access to a real families results. This way you can kind of get a feel for what health reports will look like.

  Arrival Of The Kit
I finally got my Saliva kit.
It arrived in a package like this...

The box itself is your free return shipping mailer so be careful not to mishandle it. This is the back of the box.

Once the box was opened there was a green "Let's get started" postcard. The back of the card reminds you to register your kit, so that the corporation knows it belongs to you. They can not process your sample unless your kit is registered.

The card holds a space for you to write down you 14-digit bar code. The code is located on your saliva collection tube. If it's easier just snap a picture of it with your phone (that's what I did). That way you have access to it without a doubt.

The first thing I did when I was preparing for my test was went to brush my teeth. But I quickly realized the package states no food or drink (including toothpaste) for 30mins. Since I now had a half an hour to wait, I just went ahead and registered my kit.

As I mentioned, I had already made an account so I simply signed in, and then hit register kit. It immediately bought me to the bar code screen, I entered the numbers.

I had previously created an account right after I placed the order for the kit, so when I was signed in a and went to register the kit, all I had to do was put in my bar code. Once completed I was taken to a screen to finalize consent forms, and then offered tips in filling the sample and the option to complete my profile by answering a few health questions.


Saliva Kit Contents
  The kit contained:
 1. A DNA specimen bag
2. A spit tube with attached funnel
3. A screw on cap

Directions

1. No food or drink (including tooth brushing) for 30 mins.
2. Spit in the tube til you reach the fill line. (Believe it or not this part takes a lot longer than expected)
3. Close the attached funnel.
4. Remove the funnel and place on the cap.
5. Place the specimen in the bag and seal it.
6. Then put back in the box to mail it.

The results should arrive in about 6-8 weeks, via your online account.

 My kit is off to the lab and I can not wait to share the results with you soon! For more information check out at 23andme.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: