Autism,

Autism & Shoes

9:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

One of the key characteristics of autism is sensory sensitivities. Krisjon (Jon) has always had challenges with shoes. Most of the quality shoe brands tend to be a bit heavy for his liking. Also, he's in first grade this year and many of the children his age are tying their own laces. His fraternal twin brother being one of them.

It was a bit disheartening his kindergarten year, watching the frustration on his face, as a few of the children were tying shoes even at this age. He became completely discouraged at times. I tried double knotting the laces before he left in the mornings, but for some reason it didn't seem to hold up throughout the day.

Jon would come home often, with his shoe laces dangling, because his teacher would tell him, she doesn't tie shoes (thanks for nothing). There was a sweet little girl who told him not to worry, if his shoes need a bow, she would help him, and she always did. Thank you precious Ivy.

It's the beginning of another school year and we are still working on getting the hang of shoe laces, but I wanted to find shoes a bit more suitable for my baby this year. 

My first thought was to simply tuck his laces, but I knew that wouldn't work, because the strings in the shoe would bother him. The shoe lace holders, are a bit toddler-ish and I don't like to single him out unnecessarily.  I thought about shoes with the Velcro straps, but let's face it, they're just not that fashionable.

As I continued my quest for the perfect shoe, I came across a pair of black shoes, they were sturdy but lightweight. They were naturally wide, given extra wiggle room. The laces were short and knotted at the end. Oh my gosh, they were made to wear untied and they are hella cute!

Converse All Stars you're a life saver! My baby is stylish this year and has his confidence back. 

Autism and shoes you've been mommy hacked!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: