drinks,

Fresh Mint Tea

10:04 AM Unknown 0 Comments

My wife came home with a huge bag of fresh mint that one of the guys at her job gave her. As usual she had no purpose for it, and handed it straight to me. Mint is one of my all time favorite flavors, but I'll admit I don't use fresh mint often. I washed the mint leaves, placed them in a gallon sized ziplock bag and put them in the fridge. I wasn't quite sure what I was gonna do with them, but I knew I wasn't gonna let them go to waste.


Fast forward 2 days later and both Laila & Shon woke up saying they didn't feel well. What the heck! It's only the 2nd week of school! I swear my children are fine the entire summer and then boom, school hits them like a train, full speed ahead, with infectious germs and icky ewwws (yep, I totally went with that). It drives me bonkers.

As they lied in bed, I thought about the mint leaves. Oh my gosh, why not make them fresh mint tea?! It's perfect as a natural decongestant (the scent helps break up phlegm) and it also helps relieve a sore throat.

It's a pretty simple process. Just grab fresh mint, boil a little water and add a sweetener if desired. The kids prefer tea sweetened with sugar, I add a teaspoon of honey to mine. Either way is delicious.

Also, there are times where I just simply place the whole sprigs in a cup and let them steep. It gives a lighter tea which is really good. If your prefer a stronger tea then you would pull of the leaves off and break them up.

Wanna know a secret? I always add a bonus ingredient to my tea while it is steeping. A lemon cough drop. If you add it while the tea is still super hot, it will crack (I love to hear the sound of it) and begin to melt. It serves as the tea's side kick, the aroma aides as a decongestant, helps with soar throats, and brings a calming feeling.  It's that perfect touch.

Fresh Mint Tea

Here's What You'll Need:
2 sprigs of mint (or about 7-10 mint leaves)
8oz water
your choice of sweetener (if needed)
lemon cough drop (completely optional)

Here's What You Do:
1. Rinse mint sprigs to remove any dirt.
2. For a lighter tasting tea, place full sprigs of mint into a tea cup. For a stronger tea, remove leaves from stems and roughly break leaves apart and place into a tea infuser or right into the bottom of a tea cup.
3. Pour 6-8oz of boiling water over mint.
4. Allow to steep for 5-10 (longer if you like it stronger). If you are adding a cough drop, do so now.
5. Remove sprigs or leaves.
6. Add sweetener.
7. Enjoy.


You Might Also Like

0 comments: