Autism,

Bus Shenanigans

8:30 AM Unknown 0 Comments

My children attend a school that houses PreK-12th grade. Something I was very weary about when we first moved to the area. Every child, no matter the age group, all ride the same bus. Scary when you're the one with babies right? Shon, (one of my 1st graders) and Laila (my 8th grader) both ride this bus. Thankfully Laila is a bit older and so I just have her sit with, or at least keep an eye on her brother on the bus. His mouth sometimes gets him in trouble, but for the most part we've had no problems.

Jon, my first grader with autism however, has extremely sensitive ears. With the noise levels on a typical school bus (along with other social concerns), we deemed it best, that he rides in a more private setting, with fewer children.

 {By the way if you didn't get a chance to grab the SN acronym cheat sheet garb it here}.

This will be his 3rd school year on the private bus. This morning the driver just announced he will be shifting the schedule around a bit. Jon normally boards the bus at 7:10 in the mornings and arrives home around 3:05 in the afternoon. I was told the new schedule will have him boarding at 6:30am and arriving home at 3:45 in the afternoon. That's a 40min difference both ways!

As a mommy, I was a bit concerned and gave the drivers aid (his wife) a call to figure out what's going on. They are an older couple, he is a retired firefighter, and she a special needs caregiver most of her life.

Mrs. Pam (the bus aid), mentioned that this year, they were given 3 new students (for a total of 5). One of the newer students is extremely loud (one his personal sensory quirks), resulting in Jon and other students facing difficulties on the bus. 

The change would be so that they could pick up this child last in the mornings, offering a more pleasant environment for the other students, and then drop him off first in the afternoons, again so it will be a better situation for all.

The current route entails my son being picked up last and dropped off first, therefore spending only 15mins each way on the bus. I had no idea other children were on the bus for a whole hour. Jon, doesn't fair well on long car rides (and by long I mean anything more than 15-20mins) so I am hoping this does not discourage him in anyway.

I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to get him some noise reducing headphones for the bus. I'm not so sure this 45mins each way is going to be the solution, all we can do is try it and see.

 What's your take on this?


You Might Also Like

0 comments: