Lifestyle

Lady Bugs, I No Longer Fancy You.

5:12 PM Unknown 0 Comments

OMG, it's starting...

When we moved to Tennessee a year or so ago, one of the (many) things that surprised me was the abundance of ladybugs you see in the Fall.

Sure we had ladybugs in Virginia, usually in the summer months, when I saw one I would smile, pick it up and let it dance across my finger until it took flight again.

These insects were beautiful. A symbol of good luck, in fact, the very first image I displayed in an art gallery was of a pair of ladybugs (or as i titled them love bugs). Here it is:

Here in the south, these bugs swarm by the hundreds. I'm seriously not kidding! During late September/early October they are like a plague.

 I remember a day last Fall, I was walking to my in-laws house and I literally had to use an open umbrella to shield my body from getting hit by an intense storm of red beetles. There was no way to dodge them. Honestly, one of the most bizarre things I've encountered in my lifetime.

As most of you know, our home  is newly constructed. However, that didn't completely stop a few of these creepy crawlies from weaseling in.

My in laws have a much older home, naturally lending itself to its fair share of cracks and crevices. The previous Fall, it looked like they had opened a gentleman's club in their home. They had dozens of ladies dancing on the wall and walking from the ceiling. Pretty sure they could've charged an admissions fee. 

I'm such a dork bomb sometimes, cause that was totally funny to me. Ha!

Truth be told, it wasn't a laughing matter. They had to keep the lights dim so that the bugs would stay docile and not fly around as much.

I wondered if this phenomenon was affecting us specifically because of our close proximity to the woods, but quickly learned it was a regional issue. The only way to really get rid of them is to sweep them up or to line the inside of the hose of your vacuum with a stocking and vacuum them up.

In my years of teaching, I ran across a nursery rhyme that was written like this:

Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home,
Your house is on fire,
Your children shall burn!

I thought it was one of the cruelest things I'd ever read. Now a days, let's just say, my feelings have evolved.

Oh one more thing, I totally forgot to mention that with the ladybug issue comes the...take a deep breath....WASP!!

I will share their connection in an upcoming post. It's so freakishly interesting you won't want to miss it, so check about soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: