ASD,

Autism Communication Tips

12:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Remember a few weeks ago when I told you about the bus change? Well that night I talk to my son about it. I know he has difficulties with handling change, so I find it important to keep him in the know.

When I talk to him about his new bus schedule, I tried to explain that he would be getting home later. He started going to a mini meltdown. After, I got him semi calm, I asked, what are you having a hard time with?

My thoughts initially were that he knew what I was saying and was not happy with the fact that he would be on the bus for an extended amount of time.
There was actually a miscommunication. What he was battling with is the word "later". He yelled "I know what later means! It means tomorrow and that means I won't get home until tomorrow!!"

So what he was thinking was he would leave school at 2:45pm and he would not see his family, eat dinner, or anything until the next day. Wow. That would make anyone feel slighted wouldn't it?

He has interpreted "later" as a synonym for "tomorrow" because often times, if I say "Jon, we will do it later". It ends up being the next day, or perhaps even the weekend.

I managed to find better words so that he understood that I was just saying the other children would be dropped off first.
 He got pretty upset and screamed and stomped to get his frustrations out.

At least this time, I knew it was for the right reason. :)

More ASD Communication Tips:


You Might Also Like

0 comments: