Autism,

Autism & Allergies

6:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Hey my loves! It's still February and here in Tennessee we are getting 75 and 80 degree weather. We didn't have much of a winter at all! Flowers and trees are blooming way ahead of schedule. We all know, where there's flowers, there's pollen, and with pollen comes allergies.

My little man has always had seasonal allergies, but recently we've been battling breakouts from detergents, soaps, lotions, and dealing with eczema and nasal congestion as well.

Because all of those things are linked, we were recommended by his pediatrician to see an allergist (skin and allergy doctor). During his doctor's visit, Krisjon was given a common panel allergy test (known as a skin prick or scratch test) to identify the suspected allergens. 

Test Performance
The test was performed by using several toothpick like prongs to prick his skin and apply a small amount of allergens (in a liquid form) to a controlled area on his back (for adults this test is done on the forearm).

There were a variety of control areas, so a pen was used to mark a letter to identify each section. Once the potential allergen was applied, there is a 15-20 min wait to see how the body responds.

Krisjon's Response
The procedure itself didn't seem to hurt, but it was a bit uncomfortable. The 20min wait however sent my guy into a full blown melt down! Within the first 2 or 3 mins he mentioned it was itching, the itch intensified. He, nor, I were allowed to scratch it. I looked at his back and there was clearly a reaction. I offered him his ipad, in hopes of distracting his mind away from it. Ummmm, that was a no go. He started screaming as loud as he could in high pitch piercing screams!

 "DOCTOR! DOCTOR COME QUICK! I'M DYING!!!"
I was so freaked out I ran and grabbed a nurse. "Is this normal?"
 She investigated "He's having a reaction, it probably itching really bad, but it's normal."

I held his hands and pressed my body close to him, in an effort to calm him down. I assured him he wasn't 'dying', he was 'itching' and that it would be over soon. I started to sing (which usually aids in calming him). My sensory baby wasn't having it!

 He pushed me away blurting out "Get away from me! You're the reason I'm in this mess! I should punch you in the throat.".... I gave him his space.
It started again, this time for the police "OFFICER, OFFICER, COME QUICK! THEY'RE TRYING TO MURDER ME!!!!" He repeated this statement over and over. I tried with all my might to reason with him, to know avail. He continued to shout for an officer. No officer came.

I used my words, trying to calm him, this time offering my cell phone with his favorite games on it. Nope. He moved up the chain of command. "GOD!! GOD!! CAN YOU HEAR ME?! I'LL BE UP THERE SOON!! YOU'RE GOING TO SEE ME SOON!!"

 Finally, the doctor came in. "I'm so proud of you buddy. You did great, and it's over. I'm going to wipe this stuff of of you, OK?" A nurse followed  her in, with a small container of apple juice.  He gathered himself, drank the juice, at let the doctor wipe off the area.

He transformed from Dr. Jackal to Mr. Hyde during that 20min window, but the staff didn't skip a beat (I appreciate that so much). They recorded the positive reactions to allergens and grabbed him some Benadryl. I picked my big boy up and held him tight as we waited for the results. 

The Results
Among the potential allergens tested:
Trees: Ash, Oak, Birch, Box Elder, Cedar, Cottonwood, Elm, Hickory, Maple, Mulberry, Pecan, Sycamore, and Walnut.
Grass & Weeds: Bermuda, Johnshon, Timothy, Ragweed, Pigweed, Russian Thistle, and Sheep Sorrel.
Epithelials: Cat hair, cat pelt, American cockroaches, German cockroaches, dog hair, dust mites, and feather mix.
Molds: Alternaria and Cladosporium.
Foods: Eggs, milk, wheat, soy, peanut, fish, shellfish, and almonds.

As I mentioned these are common allergens. Additional allergies can be tested for (but that would be for another day). Since he is so sensitive to detergents, lotions, and soaps as well, we were given some prevention measures.

Preventions and Daily Regimens
The allergist suggested we use certain products to help keep his skin clear:
Laundry Detergent: All (free clear)
Body Wash/Soap: Dove (unscented)
Lotion: Any unscented intense lotion (3 times a day), because Krisjon does not like the thickness of most of the extreme moisturizers we are using a cream from the skincare line the allergist offers.  It works wonders!
Do Not Use: Scented plug ins, scented candles, fabric softener or dryer sheets.

His daily regimens are:
Prevention of allergies: Zyretec
Nasal congestion: Fluticasone Nasal spray
Skin flare/eczema: Desonide (steroid cream) or 2.5 hydrocortisone
Lotion: Epionce (part of a skincare line)

I am hopeful that with this plan implemented things will get better for him. He has an appointment 2 months out, while in the middle of allergy season to be sure this regimen is working for him.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: