Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana,

Zuppa Toscana Soup

12:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

I'm in love with Italian food. I literally beg my wife to take me to Olive Garden every weekend. And most weekends I get my way. Most weekends.

Lately, we've been so preoccupied with the kids sporting activities that OG has become an afterthought and my palette is suffering from withdrawals.

 That's alright, we all know there's more than one way to boil pasta (wait is there)?
Anyway, today I'm bringing a touch of Italy to the kitchen, with one of my favorite soups, Zuppa Toscana.

This hearty soup is made up of red russet potatoes, sausage and kale.


It's based in chicken broth and thickened with a bit of cream.

It's up to you if you peel the potatoes or not, I think it's delicious with the peeling on (and saves time also).

This soup is a not only hearty, but a true comfort dish that's great to enjoy on a cool fall evening. 

Here's What You'll Need:
16oz of small red russet potatoes cut in 1/4 in slices and then quartered
 1 (16oz) pack of ground Italian sausage (mild)
A bush of Kale
 1/2 large yellow onion; sliced
 3 (14.5) cans chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
 1/2 tsp olive oil
3 tsp of garlic; divided 
Salt and pepper to taste
Shredded cheddar (optional)


Here's What You Do: 
1. In a skillet over medium heat warm olive oil.
2. Add onion and cook until translucent.
3. Add sausage (seasoning it with salt, pepper and tsp of garlic. Cook until meat is browned, then drain and set aside.
4. In a soup pot, over medium heat warm chicken broth and potatoes. Season with remaining garlic (and more salt and pepper if you'd like).  Allow to cook until potatoes are tender (about 20-25 mins).
5. Add meat and onion mixture to pot. Let cook until everything is warm again.
6. Pull kale leaves off steam and rinse.
7. Add cream and kale to pot and let cook for an additional 10 minutes.
7. Top with shredded cheddar cheese (if desired).

You Might Also Like

0 comments: