Autism

ABA Assessment: Behavioral

10:44 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Finally, after 6 weeks of twirling our thumbs, Krisjon had his first ABA appointment. The therapist came in introducing herself and in the same breath, apologizing and asking could she could she use the restroom (of course you can, I wiped it down this morning, for that very reason).

  She returned looking refreshed, and asked  for a few moments to set up things on the living room floor.  We watched as she began unzipping a medium size dark suitcase that held a variety of plastic Ziploc bags with contents inside. She then removed several light colored blankets,  placing one over each bag. 



As she continued her process, I took the opportunity to go grab my journal and pen. I wanted to document Ms. D's interactions, as well as, Krisjon's responses.

 Ms. D inquired about two snacks that our son enjoyed, and placed some of each in separate plastic containers. She then invited my wife (who came home on lunch) and I to have a seat on the couch. Then she softly turned to Krisjon and asked if he would join her. He did.

She placed a few small items in front of him and asked what he would like to play with. He chose bubbles. She again asked, would he like to blow or pop? He responded "Blow."  He took a few turns blowing bubbles and as they landed on the floor, he crushed them. While it appeared to be fun, it did not hold his attention very long.

His eyes focused on a interesting looking  truck that had the face of a dog face complete with a silly tongue sticking out. He wrapped his hand around it thrashing it around, made note that the tongue wouldn't go in, and then proceeded to bang the truck on the floor. Ms. D allowed this for a few moments, observing his reactions, then taking the truck to offer him a puzzle.



The puzzle board was actually a laminated piece of paper with wavy shapes, all similar in size. She handed him two identical foam puzzle pieces and held the remainder of them in her hands.

"When you're ready for more pieces, just ask me."

After placing the pieces he was given, he reached for her hand.

"What do you need?" Ms. D asked.

Krisjon pointed to a puzzle piece.

"Pieces. Can you say it?"

"Pieces." he mumbled. She rewarded him with more puzzle pieces.

As the therapist set up her next activity, I took interest that she handed our son tiny manipulatives to keep his attention (a miniature fire truck and airplane).

While he was occupied, she removed a family of small plush dolls, a set of wooden furniture, and coordinating items from a plastic bag.

Ms. D randomly placed the items between her and Jon on the floor. Krisjon immediately starting arranging them. He placed the dolls together, the furniture in close proximity, and the utensils were paired with one another.




As his teacher moved things around, he became slightly flustered and began to straighten them back up. Ms. D picked up two dolls and sat them on the couch, she then added another to join in on the action.  Krisjon politely expressed his dislike, before putting them back in their original places.


Another activity for the assessment was a bunny that would squeak, walk, and move its ears at the push of a button.  Krisjon enjoyed this, but seemed to become a bit hyper, moving from place to place.


Though I don't want to bore you with all the details, I will say there were quite a few exercises completed. The entire process covered nearly 3 hours.

My overall opinion, I was 110% impressed. I asked Ms. D how often she would be seeing Jon.

She replied "Once a month."

 Almost choking, I blurted out "I thought therapy would be a little more regular."

 "Oh it will, he will be doing at least 6 hours a week."

 I offered a confused as hell sort of look.

In tune with my expression Ms. D chuckled, "I'm here to do the initial assessment, I will then find a therapist that meets Krisjon's needs and will be back once a month to check in on his therapist and get your feedback."

I was so bummed...I had already fallen in love with her. My son absolutely adored her.

This therapist, who ever she is, will have some large shoes to fill.  Krisjon responded so well to Ms. D and on the few times he didn't, she didn't even wince. So professional, so confident, so poise...not to mention so easy on the eyes (but that's another story).

Upon further conversation, I actually learned she was not local, traveling only to Virginia once a month to see clients.

During Ms. D visit, Krisjon kept referring to her as "the girlie." She was amused every time he said it. When she was about to leave (Krisjon now in his bedroom) she yelled out "Jon, the girlie's leaving!"
He quietly poked his head around the corner. For me, that spoke volumes.


You Might Also Like

0 comments: